Wednesday 3 October 2012

Photography And Photoshop Evaluation

PHOTOGRAPHY EVALUATION

Whilst doing my photography I used manual focus, this was so that I was then able to focus my own photographs as I wish. It was also so that I could then begin to see the difference between a motion blur photograph and an in focus photograph. Whilst using the focus and zoom lenses on the camera, I learnt that by being slow, steady and accurate I was able to get a successful zoom and focus ratio. Before our photography lesson I didn’t know of the T-stand, but when getting the chance to take photographs I automatically felt the difference from standing normal, to standing in the T-stand, whilst standing in the T-stand I was able to lean forward and backwards without any difficulty, I could also reach higher and lower whilst remaining comfortable, when standing in the T-stand it also gave me the opportunity to feel free and loose whilst taking the photographs instead of all up tight and awkward. During the shoot I learnt that by taking a portrait photograph it was much easier to fill the picture with just the head and shoulders of my model, where as in a landscape photograph there was a lot of background space which I didn’t need or want. Throughout the shoot I remained to keep my photographs portrait as it suited the style of my magazine a lot better and looked most effective. Most of the photographs I took were in focus but there was a few which weren’t, I have shown these on my blog. To improve on my out of focus photographs, I would spend more time concentrating on positioning the focus lens in the correct place and carefully looking at how focused the photograph is through the lens before taking the photo. Whilst positioning my model, I learnt that if the lighting is behind the model it is much harder to see the strong facial features of the model, there is a lot of shadowing included when having the lighting positioned behind, which I didn’t feel was most effective. When having the lighting in front of the model, it was too bright and was very hard to see the facial features of the model at all, as the light was too bright and lit the face up too much. But when positioning the light to the side of the model, it gave a glow to the models face and wasn’t too strong for the camera, so that it was able to still capture the strong facial features, most my best photographs were taken with the light to the side as I decided I liked this lighting best whilst experimenting. Throughout my shoot I kept to the third eye line rule, and most of my photographs apply to that rule, I experimented with where the eye was looking whilst remaining on the third line but most of my photos had the eye looking straight at the camera or slightly to the side. During my shoot I didn’t pay much attention to the background, just tried to keep it mostly grass so that it was plain and not too busy with action in the background. By doing this it kept my model the main subject of the photograph, which was very effective when placed on my magazine cover. During the shoot me and my model were able to work together effectively and swiftly, enabling us to get a big range of different photographs, for us then to be able to choose between. We were able to position each other and direct our ideas across very well throughout the shoot and no problems arose during. 



PHOTOSHOP EVALUATION
Whilst using photoshop on my magazine front cover I found it difficult to expand the photograph without stretching it, but I was then taught that if I was to hold down the shift key whilst stretching it, it wouldn't look so stretched on the page, when doing this I found it worked and was able to have my photograph a lot larger but still look effective on my magazine cover. I found editing and playing around with the different tools the easiest part whilst on photoshop, as I was able to experiment as I wished and change the lighting on my photograph, I made my photograph very bright and lit up so that the background was plain and white, I did this so that my text would show up on the background. On my magazine cover my text was well controlled as I used the rulers to keep all my text lined up, this was effective and a very good tool to use as all of my text looks straight and neat, just as a real magazine would. I kept the text bold and big so that it would stand out on the page as there is a massive market for magazines, so I wanted my text and magazine to be eye catching upon all of the rest. For my magazine I downloaded a font that I could use for all of my text, I choose this fonts so that it would be different and unique to any other magazines font, I downloaded and uploaded my font by, downloading the font I wanted from www.dafonts.com, I then saved it to my file and extracted it, I then copied the extracted file and pasted it on the C drive of the computer, then when I went into photoshop, the font I wanted was in the drop down lists of fonts so I was able to click and use it. I used the colours purple and blue, as I want to keep my magazine to a 'galaxy' theme, the title 'Spectrum' is a big part of science, so I wanted to use space and galaxy's as my main theme, by wishing this, I planned to use dark blues and purples to suit this theme. If I was to improve my front cover, I would go for a different chose of colour as although the purples and blues suits my theme, they don't stand out as much as they could. The strengths of my magazine cover is that the photograph sticks to the third eye line rule and has just the head and shoulders in it, by doing this the main subject attracts all of the eye focus and makes my magazine , also my model is positioned to the side with side lighting giving an unique edge to my magazine, making it stand out. Whilst using photoshop I learned a whole new range of skills, I firstly learnt that when opening up a new document for my magazine cover I had to have it presented as international paper, with a resolution of 300, and RGB needed to be 16bt with 300DPI. I then learnt to ensure my rulers were working for my document, I could use the shortcut (ctrl+r) to do so, and to see my layers window I could click the shortcut (F7). I then learnt that when inserting my photograph I could use the shortcut (ctrl+A) and then (ctrl+C) and then paste, to inset my photograph onto the page and then to enlarge my photograph without stretching it I could use the shortcut (ctrl+T) then hold the shift key down and grab a corner to enlarge or make smaller.

No comments:

Post a Comment